WESTCHESTER, N.Y. – A winter weather advisory remains in effect for Westchester County until 6 a.m. Thursday, according to the National Weather Service.
Rain, snow and sleet are expected this evening, becoming all rain after midnight. The rain and snow could be heavy at times, with an overnight low of around 32 degrees. Winds up to 25 mph are expected, with gusts as high as 47 mph possible.
Rain will continue into Thursday morning, mainly before noon. The high will be near 44 degrees. There is a slight chance of snow between 9 p.m. and midnight, with an overnight low of around 25 degrees.
Con Edison is closely watching the wind and storms conditions and crews are preparing to respond to any outages. The company is warning that trees and branches damaged during Hurricane Sandy may be vulnerable to falling. Some of those trees and limbs could fall into power lines and other overhead electrical equipment, affecting customers’ electrical service.
Con Edison is offering a list of safety tips for dealing with severe weather conditions and power outages:
- Do not go near downed electrical wires. Treat all wires as if they are live. Never attempt to move them or touch them with your hands or any object. Be mindful that downed wires can be hidden from view by tree limbs, leaves or water.
- Report all downed wires to Con Edison and your local police department immediately. If a power line falls on your car while you're in it, stay inside the vehicle and wait for emergency personnel.
- If your power goes out, disconnect or turn off appliances that would otherwise turn on automatically when service is restored. If several appliances start up at once, the electric circuits may overload.
- Make sure your flashlights and battery-operated radios are in working order. Make sure you have a supply of extra batteries.
- Weather updates and news on restorations of electrical service can be heard on most local radio and television stations.
- 1 Westchester Attorney Charged With Stealing Over $1M From Escrow Accounts
- 2 Westchester Publisher Charged With Loan, Tax Fraud
- 3 NYPD Officer, Former Section 1 Basketball Star, Killed In Bronx Crash
- 4 Serious Multi-Vehicle Accident Closes Saw Mill River Parkway
- 5 Astorino Delivers Face-To-Face Debate Challenge To Cuomo