WESTCHESTER COUNTY, N.Y. -- A recent study performed by Consumer Reports says failing to cook ground beef to 160 degrees can put people at risk for bacterial infections.
Consumer Reports tested 458 pounds of ground beef from various grocery, and natural food stores from all over the country. All of the beef tested contained bacteria that signified fecal contamination. In addition, 20 percent contained C. perfringens, a bacteria responsible for 1 million cases of food poisoning each year.
The study also found that conventionally raised cattle, or those placed in feed lots and filled with corn and soybeans, contained more bacteria than sustainably raised cattle who are left to graze and eat grass. Roughly 97 percent of the country's ground beef comes from conventionally raised cattle, Consumer Reports said.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.