WESTCHESTER COUNTY, N.Y. -- As storms approach the Westchester County area, Con Edison is reminding residents to put safety first.
Con Edison offers the following safety tips:
- If you see downed electrical wires, do not go near them. Treat all downed wires as if they are live. Never attempt to move them or touch them with your hands or any object. Be mindful that downed wires can be hidden from view by tree limbs, leaves or water.
- Report all downed wires to Con Edison and your local police department immediately. If a power line falls on your car while you're in it, stay inside the vehicle and wait for emergency personnel.
- If your power goes out, disconnect or turn off appliances that would otherwise turn on automatically when service is restored. If several appliances start up at once, the electric circuits may overload.
- Check to make sure your flashlights and any battery-operated radios are in working order. Make sure you have a supply of extra batteries.
- Weather updates and news on restorations of electrical service can be heard on most local radio and television stations.
Con Edison reminds the public to avoid downed power lines because they could be live. Strong winds can knock trees into power lines, causing poles and lines to come down and customers to lose power.
Customers can report downed power lines, outages and check service restoration status at www.conEd.com or by calling 800-75-CONED (800-752-6633). When reporting an outage, customers should have their Con Edison account number available, if possible, and report whether their neighbors also have lost power.
Depending on the severity of storm damage, crews will give priority to restoring equipment that will provide power to the most customers as quickly as possible, then restore smaller groups and individual customers who are without power.
- 1 Armonk's Offenberg Charged With Fraud In Assessment Scheme
- 2 Winter Weather Advisory Issued For Parts Of Lower Hudson Valley
- 3 Westchester County Police Charge Man, 26, With Having 130 Bags Of Heroin
- 4 Mezzancello Wins North Castle Race By 22 Votes, Unofficial Results Show
- 5 Passenger Throws Heroin Out Of Car Window On Hutch, Say Police