WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. -- White Plains Hospital has completed construction on 24 new, private patient rooms on floors four and five of the Hospital’s new six- story addition. The new patient rooms have been designed to maximize patient comfort, enhance infection protection and safety, and encourage privacy and rest.
“We are pleased to be able to offer our patients the next level of privacy and comfort at White Plains Hospital,” said Joe Perillo, White Plains Hospital’s Director of Project Management and Construction. “Each room has been thoughtfully designed with a number of elements that we feel will best meet the needs of our patients and enhance the patient experience.”
Features of the new patient rooms include:
- Large glass windows to let in natural light
- Spacious interiors to accommodate patients, visitors, staff, and medical equipment
- New, soothing artwork featuring nature scenes to put patients at ease
- Private bathrooms, each equipped with a shower
- Seamless floors and hand washing sinks to ensure patient safety and infection control
- Family-friendly features, including pull-out sofas and reclining chairs for visitors
- Rooms for bariatric patients feature special accommodations to meet the needs of this specific population, including larger doors, bathrooms, beds, and seats.
In addition, each floor has a pantry with refrigerators, water and coffee/tea stations, and a visitors’ lounge area with comfortable seats, a television, and telephones.
The new rooms and floors also have a number of enhanced safety features, including:
- Computers in each room for clinical staff, enhancing patient safety through use of electronic medical records
- Built-in storage in hallways for masks and gowns, eliminating clutter in the hallways so patients, visitors, and staff can easily navigate the floors
- New medication rooms on each floor, ensuring patient medications can be accessed by Hospital staff quickly and accurately
- New nurses’ stations with brand-new computers and new phone systems, to enhance communication among the members of each patient’s healthcare team
The Gilbane Building Company managed construction on the rooms and floors. The new private patient rooms are part of White Plains Hospital’s campus-wide transformation, which also includes new state-of-the-art operating rooms; a brand-new lobby and entranceway; a second cardiac catheterization lab; a new labor and delivery wing; and and an expanded cancer center.