ARMONK, N.Y. -- Moderne Barn Chef Ethan Kostbar, who grew up in Israel, said he knows latkes are traditionally served with sour cream and fruit preserves. However, he enjoys making them with salmon gravlox for a modern twist.
"My family and I love to eat fish so this is a perfect twist to one of our favorite Hannukah staples," he said.
The Fairfield resident makes these often for parties at the restaurant as they make a great passed hors’ d’oeuvres; you can find them on Moderne Barn's menu as a special for the holiday.
- 4 Yukon Gold potatoes (peeled, grated)
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Peel and grate potatoes.
- Mix shredded potatoes, egg yolks, and flour in bowl.
- Season with salt.
- In a sauté pan over medium heat, drop a heaping tablespoonful of the mixture in a ¼ cup of blended oil to fry the latkes until they develop a golden brown color on both sides.
- Remove from pan with spatula and place on a paper towel, season with salt.
- Serve with salmon gravlox and horseradish sour cream.
Salmon Gravlox Ingredients:
- 1 salmon filet (skin on, no bones)
- 2 cups salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 bunch dill, chopped
- 2 oranges, sliced
- ¼ cup Pernod (optional)
- Place salmon on a sheet tray, with plastic wrap underneath it.
- Place oranges and dill over the salmon.
- Mix salt, sugar, and Pernod in a bowl.
- Pour the mixture on top, completely covering the salmon.
- Wrap salmon in plastic wrap so that its air tight.
- Put in the fridge for two days.
- Remove from fridge discard all the salt, sugar, oranges, and dill.
- Rinse salmon under cold water, dry with paper towel.
- Thinly slice the salmon, leaving the skin behind.
Horseradish Sour Cream Ingredients:
- 1 pint sour cream
- ¼ lb. fresh horseradish (peeled, grated finely)
- 1 tsp black pepper, ground
- Peel horseradish and using a microplane finely grate it over a bowl.
- Mix the horseradish with sour cream, black pepper, and salt.
Moderne Barn is at 430 Bedford Road, 914-730-0001, www.modernebarn.com/ .
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.