Ann and Elijah Miller made up an average colonial Westchester family in 1776. But an abrupt change in fortune turned their 18th century Rhode Island farmhouse into a historic monument to the American Revolution.General George Washington arrived at the North White Plains home before the Battle of White Plains in October 1776, and transformed the residency into his own headquarters command post. The battle took place not far from this newly established base.The house, which was built in 1738, saw Washington visit as a guest two additional times, staying again in the summer of 1778 as well as in 1781.In 1917, Westchester County acquired the house and declared it a museum under the countys Department of Parks, Recreation and Conservation, and was opened to the public the following year.The county Legislature worked to renovate the deteriorating museum via a $1.2 million bond issue, but Westchester County Executive Rob Astorino vetoed the measure, saying the funds should be privately supported.Of the many artifacts featured in the museums collection, the more popular items include a table and chair used by General Washington during his stay there.Admission to the museum is free, and does not require a Westchester County park pass.In 1757, homeowner Elijah Miller had fought in the French and Indian War, where he was said to have met ad befriended General Washington.The home was also used by Ann Miller to nurse injured soldiers during the war.The Elijah Miller House is located at 140 Virginia Rd. in North White Plains. It is open on the third Sunday of each month through October from noon to 3 p.m. For more information, call (914) 949-1236 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org .
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.